Monday, July 29, 2013

Hello - Monday July 29 8:48 am

July 29, 2013 8:48 am                                             
Hey guys!

I am writing this week almost done with my first month in the field.  It is crazy how much time flies out here.  It seems like just the other day that I was leaving the mtc and brought to the field.

Lets think,  This week has been fun.  I was able to go to the temple last week with the zone and so that was a fun day.  we got caught in the rain of course but that is pretty much everyday now that we are in the rainy season.  It will down pour at least once a day. But that is okay because it is not so dreadfully hot all the time.  Sundayactually I was cold in the chapel!! I had goosebumps!

The work her is really beginning to progress and we now have 3 people who have baptismal dates for August!  It is cool to see how our message can change their lives. The work is difficult but it is coming along.  The YSA are a lot of fun and I really like working with them.  A sister in our ward just left this evening to go serve in the Dominican Republic!. I was able to talk with her and it was fun being reminded of how I felt right before I left.  

Overall my favorite thing to do is to testify.  I am still not so great with the actually teaching in tagalog yet.  but most all know english really well and understand when I say something or everything... in english (we have one investigator who does not know any english but I am seeing my tagalog get better when we work with him).

It is cool how I am able to use my experiences to help others.  From different situations, I am able to teach to meet the needs of my investigators and help them.  That even though the situation is the same, I can use it to benefit others differently.

So we have a recent convert named Mart. He is just barely 18 and was baptized in February of this year by some elders and he did not have his parents consent....  He has been abused by his brother for his conversion and is not allowed by his father to attend church.  It is so hard for him because he has a strong desire to come back but he cannot do it with his father.  We are trying to get him to read the Book of Mormon on his phone because the Book of Mormon is not allowed in his house.  He is always in our prayers as we continue to teach him so that his family will be receptive of the gospel.

So far I have been able to stay very healthy in the field.  I have not gotten sick, but am hearing of batch mates who are.... The other week I was having a very difficult time at night with sleeping but it is better now.  I guess getting not much sleep in HS with seminary was actually a mini preparation for the mission.  But I am still feeling good and am getting a better hang of the work. Granted I am tired all the time, but that is true of every missionary.

Here in the city there are absolutely no white people..... Sister Moreno is half spanish so she has darker skin, but there is no one here!!! It is absolutely crazy here because I get called out to because I am white... That I still have not adjusted to....  It is so different here because in America everyone is trying to get tanner while people here do everything they can to be white.  they use umbrellas all the time.  whitening soap which bleaches the skin....  all to become more whiter....  So I guess I can sort of embrace my whiteness here.............

I have loved hearing about all of your great missionary experiences back home!! Keep up the amazing work.  This work is so important!  Our salvation depends on it!! In preach my gospel pages 12-13 i believe it has quotes from the prophets.  It is President George Albert Smith who says that in order to receive salvation we need to share the gospel!

I love you all and hope you have an amazing week!!!

You are in my prayers and I miss you guys so much!!

Love Always 
Sister Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment